Sunday, September 30, 2012

Knock

A Night Visitor

Last night as I was getting ready for bed, I heard a knock on my door. I hesitated to open it at first, because it was quite late, and I was not pretty. But curiosity won out over caution, so I opened the door to find my sweet friend Shauna, standing on my step with a worried look on her face, wringing her hands in the moonlight.
Earlier in the day, she had made a flippant (and rather funny) remark, which caused Taffy to spew water on the sidewalk and made me and Pam laugh (although I'll admit it was a bit scandalous). Several hours later, Shauna's conscience started to prick, and she began to worry that, for various reasons, her comment might have hurt me. So after stewing for a few hours, she made the pilgrimage to my house to ask me to forgive her for being insensitive and thoughtless.
I was surprised by her appeal because I had not thought twice about what she had said, but naturally we both started to cry and had a good heart-to-heart for a few minutes.  I was touched that she took the time to come see me personally, and her concern made me feel loved and important - something that I was desperately needing to feel that day.

Ask, Seek, Knock

How often do we ignore the promptings and impressions to knock? The great peace that came to my friend's heart, and the increase of love - for her and from her - that I felt as a result of her confession were tender mercies that we each received because she was willing to swallow her pride and knock. How glad I am that I was brave enough to answer.

"Even more amazing than modern technology is our opportunity to access information directly from heaven, without hardware, software, or monthly service fees. It is one of the most marvelous gifts the Lord has offered to mortals. It is His generous invitation to “ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.”
This timeless offer to provide personal revelation is extended to all of His children. It almost sounds too good to be true. But it is true! I have received and responded to that heavenly help. And I have learned that I always need to be ready to receive it."

Isn't it wonderful to know that we can knock and have doors opened for us? Isn't it wonderful to know that we can both ask for and receive divine guidance from the Lord? Isn't it wonderful to know that if we truly seek, we have been promised that we will find what we need?
Oh, how wonderful it is to know that if we go to the Lord in humility, often shamefacedly wringing our hands in the moonlight, we can knock and receive forgiveness.

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."
John 14:15

"Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him..."
Revelations 3:20

Never be afraid to knock. And never be afraid to open the door. 

No comments:

Post a Comment